Friday, June 26, 2015

Paci Weaning

     The time has come to say good-bye to the pacifiers.  We knew the day would come and now that we have been pacifier free for a whole week, I can't help but wonder why we didn't get rid of them sooner!  Scratch that, I know why we didn't get rid of them sooner, it was my fault.  I really didn't think the girls would be able to handle it (and mommy and daddy like their sleep).
But all joking aside, it really wasn't that hard.  Here's how we weaned our girls off the paci:

For the last two months we have only allowed the girls to use their pacifiers at bedtime and nap times.  Then last weekend we took the plunge.  We started with our first nap time, our girls still take two naps a day.  I took the pacifiers off of their wub-a-nub lambs and sewed the lambs mouths back together and instead of giving them the lamb with a paci on the end I just gave them the lamb.  The look on their faces when I gave them their "Lambie" was hysterical.  A look of confusion mixed with happiness mixed with disappointment, all at the same time.  So the first nap with their "Lambies" didn't go well.  In fact, it didn't go at all.  The girls did not sleep.  The second nap of the first day of no pacifiers went the exact same way.  By bed time the girls were so tired I gave them their lambies and they went to sleep...for 13 hours!!  This went on for a couple of days and now they are perfectly fine with just having a stuffed animal to hold instead of a pacifier.

If I had any advice on paci weaning for you it would be TO NOT GIVE UP!  And DON'T GIVE IN!  And every child is different so what worked for us may not work for your son or daughter.  It is hard for a few days but it is so worth it.
Good Luck!!






xoxo.
rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment